October 01, 2007

good to be home...

Well, I just got back from a very productive and illuminating trip in Chicago. And you know it really was a good trip, but I cannot tell you how happy I am to be home! It's funny though how things change. When I was a kid I travelled all over the place... We lived in DC, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Italy, & visited a ton of other places, so growing up I thought I would be an antsy person who would always want to travel and move.

Now that I have a house and a family though I don't feel like that at all. Don't get me wrong I need a little vacation now and then, but I cannot be gone for more than four days because I just miss being home. It's comfortable and warm. My friends and family are close by. I have a great church home, which I love. And most importantly everything reminds me of the life my wife and I have built together. While that is a good thing, I have to be careful.

God calls to love Him above all else and to deny our own lives and interests for him. I'll admit that is a hard command and teaching to live by. Comfort can be a very good thing but discomfort leads to growth. I have to ask myself, "Am I too comfortable to follow God anywhere?"

What about you? Where are you most comfortable and does it help draw you toward God or has it become a replacement for God?

No comments: