August 11, 2009

breaking the silence...

It's interesting how different people deal with things differently...

Because of recent events, I haven't wanted to write. I haven't really wanted to talk. I haven't really related to people in the way that I normally do...

The fact is that I haven't related to myself in the way I normally would... times have been tough, and as they say "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going..." Now, that statement can be taken a number of different ways, but the way it is typically taken is that when bad things happen, the tough people work harder, they bear down, they work things out... It could also mean that when bad things happen, the tough just leave... That seems ridiculous and contradictory, but really the first explanation is equally ridiculous.

You see, when the bad strikes... when tragedy hits too close to home... we can't just bear down and "soldier on" or "power through" or whatever other ridiculous thing we are told to do. You see, I believe (though admittedly I have hated this fact recently) God is in the business of using tragedy and pain for a greater good; our greater good and his greater good. If we just run rough-shot through the problems and the tragedies and the pain we fail to take the time to ask, "What is God doing here? What does he want me to learn? How does he want me to grow and respond?"

Those are easier questions to write here, than to actually live out, I realize... but difficulty doesn't make something less true. Believe me, I have not wanted to ask these questions, because quite frankly I have not been in the mood to hear what God thinks about my current situation. I have been pretty upset with God. And that is in large part because I know that God is in control.

And yet, at the same time I see things everyday that remind me that his goodness and presence in my life are also tied to his authority, and that ultimately his plan includes the end of the bad and the pain... if we, if I can but wait upon him.
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

5 And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.”

Revelation 21:1-5

3 comments:

Kevin said...

A really awesome preacher I had growing up used to always have to remind me the coolest thing about being a christian is "set it down" It isn't yours to carry anymore. Then of course your dad....I mean that guy would give me a hug. So follow those words and set it down. Whatever your burden is, just set it down and that big strong man will carry it, and manage to hold your hand at the same time.

So maybe that solidering on isn't a tough it out thing. Maybe it is a more of learn when to unload your burdens and leave them for him. So when the going gets tough, the tough ask god for a hand so they can keep on going his way.

Unknown said...

I will always say that God is in control, even in Job's life and he wanted to die, his friends blamed him for his misfortune and even his family did not understand. Job did not blame even though he did not understand and in the end all was was his as God had planned but allowed the pain, suffering and loss. Why not ask, why not be angry, but understand God's shoulders are broad and strong and cares when our hearts break, holding us, carrying us to the other side.
It is never easy to let go of all that happens, not just the loss but the disappointments that others bring into the mix, but trust me when I say that holding on only hurts you more and eats away at you, robbing you of the joy that waits in the new day.
Know that no matter what you are LOVED and a Child of the King.

SoJourner said...

Good thoughts and inspiring. No disagreement. Just inspired to write:

God is fulfilling His plan, and whether people want to acknowledge the beauty and health of the Biblical morality God has given, means little to HIM. He may even laugh when we try to re-define his ways and make sin (for example) a so called civil right rather than help human beings live and be free.

Every person place event or situation is as it "should" be at the moment. Absolutely no-thing happens in God's universe by mistake or without purpose. God is going to work out everything according to THE plan, and He is bringing everything into conformity to His purpose and will. Or so says AA, and so says Paul.

His call to humanity, ultimately, is a call of repentance from Sin to HIM through faith in Jesus Christ so that we can come out on the salvation side of the equation of eternity. He also calls us to be FREE from the bondage and things that harm us in our daily living each new day. (John 8:32;36 & Gal. 5:1) Our morality choices influence this freedom or slavery. (Jesus John 8:34) He makes all of this possible through his own personal contract with the human race as revealed in Hebrews, especially chapters 9&10.

Violating God's life giving morality, no matter what we believe, causes human beings to miss out on what the Bible calls LIFE. So they remain in bondage to sin and death. And they miss out on the value of what CSL and You describe accurately as the "social contract."

In other words, as you well know, choices about right and wrong have their consequences, and they bear their own fruit.

I thank God for you, my Son, for your wisdom, for God having his hand on you, and for your lovely Julie:o) Love Dad