October 05, 2009

through the valley...

A lot of my friends, family members, and people in my congregation have been going through some really difficult times lately. For some it's the death of a loved one, for others it's struggling with serious illness in their families. Some are struggling to find work, feed their kids, pay their bills. My heart has broken for all these dear people this past week, and in my prayers I do lift them up. But I'll admit that it's a constant struggle not to be angry with God on their behalf. What I notice is that in the middle of grief, and giving supplication for those dealing with grief, prayer divorced from a devotion to God's Word can leave me feeling somehow more detached and distant from the Lord.

With that I leave Psalm 23 here... it may seem to be a cliche Scripture, but the powerful message it gives us should never be considered cliche... the Lord is with us, even when we find ourselves in the darkest of valleys. I hope it helps you as it has helped me. I love you all.

1 The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.
- Psalm 23, NLT

2 comments:

Arlese said...

My mom died in March from a car accident at 87 years old. The absolute worst moment in my life was watching them turn off the ventilator and seeing her die. My mother never blamed God for the bad things in life. She prayed for strength to deal with them. Life was not meant to be easy and God is always, always there to lift us up when we are down.

SoJourner said...

After more than a few traumatic events in our lives, a seminal thought came to me that sticks with me today and everyday. it is true that God works in all things for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28). And the good is found in the very next verse.